Tuesday, January 10, 2012

DIY Deck Part 4: Decking starting to be installed

So after a frustrating couple of weeks waiting on one ebay seller to get back to me, turns out the delay is all due to Toll IPEC receiving my item and then deciding to lose it for a week. They still haven't found it. Ironically their marketing slogan is "Toll Ipec - If It's Urgent", which should then be followed by "...don't use us, because we'll lose your items and not let you know about it". Pretty impressive for a courier company to fail so hard at their job, so in future I'll be making sure to avoid using them whenever possible.

Anyway, had an excellent experience with Better Hardware. I placed an order Sunday night with a note I needed these screws urgently - I got a call Monday morning from their sales manager who offered to meet me in Melbourne and hand them over to me! I said the next day would be fine, and he couriered them to me which I received Tuesday morning today! Rare to get such great personalised service, highly recommended. So if you need any decking supplies, email Tim at BetterHardware directly and say you saw this recommendation on Tim&Tina's blog and he'll look after you!

 So here's what I received from Better Hardware - 1000 stainless steel screws, 10Gx50mm long. Two square driver bits, and a Smart-Bit for countersinking.


I also made a jig out of some leftover aluminium fastener plate - basically I wanted to screw each board down one at a time and make sure all the screws lined up correctly. I staggered the screw joins too to try and minimise any crack formation in the joists.

So, long story short - lots of measuring, re-measuring and re-re-measuring, I manage to line up the first decking board and the first two picture frame boards, and lay a few more decking boards down before my cordless drill battery had enough.

I do love the mitred edge on the picture boards! A bit of a hassle to setup and get 100% right, but looks mint! The Smart-Bit is highly recommended, a massive timesaver and gets the countersinking depth perfect each time. Hoping to get all the decking down in the next 4-5 days!

T&T

7 comments:

  1. Guys well done on the continued blog of the house even after settlment, great reading.

    Can I ask who you used for the demolition of the site, thanks James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - try Gravity demolition.

    T&T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina and Tim,

    Well done with this fantastic blog with your experience on M. I have a problem and it's been keeping me up all night, my land is 4.5cm short with the facade I'm interested in...can anything be done? Thank you in advance, C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've recently built with M - they reduced the size of the garage to fit our preferred house onto our block. 4.5cm shouldn't be a problem for them. Good luck.

      Delete
  4. Hi C,

    Who is your builder? They should be able to adjust the house size/facade to accommodate 4.5cm. If they can't/won't, then they're probably not building with! Also be sure to take into account you usually can't build to 100% of the land available (eg if you have a 14m wide block, you can't build a 14m wide house to accommodate rescode requirement for setback and side spacing)

    T&T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response. I'm with M and apparently the piers aren't counted. We've decided to go with Imperial but we can save 80k with Whittaker and we never knew that. We had been under the impression that our block isn't wide enough. Still struggling and meanwhile, I'm working out demolition procedures. It is more complicated than just getting a demolisher to do the job! I'm going to read your page on demolition, I need the advice.

      Delete
  5. Hi Tim and Tina,

    It's Tim from Better Hardware here - it's great to hear our service stacked up and thank you for the awesome recommendation! Nice work with the deck. Your blog is really inspiring - wow look how far you've come. Best of luck with your many future successful projects ;)

    Tim

    PS: I actually found out about your blog after one of our customers mentioned it! So kudos to you for sharing your knowledge and helping others out. Also our website www.betterhardware.com.au will be live shortly where we'll be supplying trade quality products at low prices.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails